Our executive for the 2017 Season:
- President: Leanne Helkenberg
- Vice President: Kirk Normand
- Treasurer: Charla Kilback
- Secretary: Brett Auger
- Volunteer Coordinator: Danielle Smyth
- Director Communications: Kristen Brewer
This executive meets monthly year round, and has been working tirelessly to move the mountain biking agenda forward. To contact the Smithers Mountain Bike Association or any of the executive please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and your email will be forwarded accordingly.
Interested in contributing to the Smithers mountain biking community? The SMBA needs new directors for 2018!
About the SMBA Board:
The executive consists of the following positions:
- Past President
- Vice President
- Trails Director
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Communications Director
- Director at Large
Executive positions are voted on by the membership at the annual AGM. Positions are one year terms, and executive members must submit nomination forms and must be voted in again should they wish to continue in their position. In rare circumstances when an executive member is unable to fulfill their full year term in their position, the rest of the executive may select a replacement.
In cases where more than one person is nominated for the same position a vote will he held at the AGM as per the Societies Act. The vote will be done by a silent vote.
Responsibilities of Directors:
- Be present and maintain communication (i.e. check emails regularly)
- Attend monthly meetings
- Updating Action Item list as needed
- Advisory position
- Provide context and history
- Back up for President
- Overall coordination, keeping track of broader vision, management of agreement with Province
- Oversee and take the lead on tasks not being completed
- Provide overview of history, background, etc. to new members (i.e. orientation)
- Chair meetings, call meetings
- Be attentive to all positions and maintain communication with all other directors on their tasks
- Lead grant writing and fundraising
- Other as desired or necessary
- Support grant writing and fundraising
- Facilitate project development (i.e. through sub-committees or some other means)
- Organize forums and events for membership to provide input for key projects
- Receive input from members on ideas for projects
- Work with Trails Director to draft scope of work for and implement key projects
- Other as desired or necessary
- Keep track of funds, pay bills, write cheques, deposit funds in the bank
- In charge of sponsorship program
- Keep in touch with bike shop regarding memberships
- Ensure that shops have maps and pick up money for memberships
- Create and maintain database of membership
- Ensure that memberships are available for purchase at any event and race (delegate if necessary)
- Follow up with action items and send reminders 1-2 weeks
- Record minutes and action items
- Circulate agenda for board meetings
- File agendas and minutes (pdf) in dropbox
- Maintenance and organization electronic files in dropbox
- Support Vice-President with subcommittees and member/public meetings to take notes
- Inventory and sign in/out of equipment
- Inspection of trails
- Coordinate maintenance (through Adopt-a-trail program)
- Assist in workbee organization
- Create annual plan of trailwork needed and bring forward to executive during Fall Meeting
- Trail safety coordinator (as per agreement with the Crown)
- Update maps and signage
- Oversee volunteers for trail projects (i.e. kids trail, bike park)
- Upon input from Vice-President, lead the implementation of trail projects
- Be the point of contact for SMBA members that are doing trail maintenance
- Work directly with Prime Contractor and others
- Communicate with SMBA volunteers when required for trail maintenance work bees, community events, and races.
- Ensure all required preparation for work bees (i.e. sign-in sheet, ear plugs etc.) is complete, and coordinate work bee volunteers during event.
- Coordinate work bee details with Trails Director (e.g. plan, equipment etc.).
- Communicate volunteer opportunities with members (e.g. Facebook, email list, white boards etc.).
- Organize post work bee gathering.
- Get events lists along with detailed descriptions from bike shops at beginning of season.
- Coordinating with shops for events around volunteer needs and ensuring that they have permits for Rec and Trails.
- Ensure member volunteer Information is being captured in database (i.e. Mail Chimp)Keep record of volunteer participation for work bees for statistical analysis and AGM draw.
- Ensure that donor and volunteer recognition happens, including individuals that helps with trails (e.g. volunteer draw, newspaper ad etc.) - work with executive to create list of who needs to be recognized.
- Ensure whiteboards (keep in close communication with Trails Director) are updated, emails are answered
- Send regular emails and updates to the SMBA membership
- Maintain admin status and provide updates to the Mountain Bike BC website
- Update SMBA website
- Be available by cell phone and email regularly
- Point person for all contact with the SMBA